I started translating OSQA for French, and experimented my work with
Therefore, I ran
Is there any recipe to avoid such annoyance?
I got a version of my po file before regenerating th po. Do you feel like adding it to the repository (only 100 line translated)?
asked 15 Sep '10, 19:04
I ran into similar problems when I started translating OSQA into German. I think I worked out a translation recipe that Works For Me. If you find out about better ways to do it, please share!
But what if there's an update?
Use a version control system for your translation files. That way, even if you accidentally overwrite it, you can just revert to your old version and be happy.
Regarding recipes, Google Translator Toolkit just added support for PO files. You upload eg the OSQA English PO file and it can give you a head start on your translation. I just tried it for a Swedish translation and it works quite well.
It didn't translate the fuzzy messages and I wanted those as well so I just removed the fuzzy markers first. There were also some minor issues with the formatting of the new PO file but maybe we can gather workarounds for those in comments to this thread. Most issues were related to Python and HTML formatting and some may also be reported and fixed by Google.
answered 10 Apr '12, 06:58