I have had 500 errors in the past, and got around them by doing an upgrade.
The site has been down a week, and gets 500 error everytime you hit it.
So - I had a dive into the Error logs from Bluehost end. The only error I keep seeing pop up is:
Let me know via comments if you need additional info, and ill get it.
Bluehost have pulled Python2.6 from their users - more info.
So, I have installed a local copy of 2.6 under the Bluehost home directory (instructions here).
I have not reinstalled Django, but does the above not indicate its ok?
Im a bit lost on what to do next?
This question is marked "community wiki".
I'm hosting on WebFaction and there is a maximum limit imposed by them on the number of emails that can be sent out in a 24 hour period.
Because I have a fairly high-traffic site, I emailed them and had the limit raised significantly beforehand before it could affect OSQA's email notifications.
You might have hit some kind of similar emailing limit from Bluehost. It might be worth contacting them to check.
answered 17 Mar '12, 09:59
check my.webfaction.com to see if you've exceeded serving bandwidth allowance.
There are several different server logs on webfaction - check all of them (they're probably in /home6/dekhofor/logs/*).
I don't remember where we put python2.6 - it might be somewhere under /home6/dekhofor, or it might be outside that tree. There should be something like a .bashrc file somewhere, maybe in /home6/dekhofor itself, that points to the python2.6 path
answered 19 Mar '12, 06:53
At the time of writing, Bluehost have Python 2.4 installed, but there is an optional 2.6 also available for use.
However, bluehost have now stripped this out: source
I followed the instructions outlined here to install another version of 2.6 underneath my home folder of Bluehost. I should have rolled to 2.7, but wanted to keep things as they were to avoid any potential problems in getting things up and running.
The last remaining problem I had, was to update the osqa.fcgi file to point to the new location of Python:
I then touched the osqa.fcgi file, and my site is back up and running.
I hope this helps anyone running OSQA on Bluehost who may experience similar issues.
answered 21 Mar '12, 06:21